Mornings can be such a drag, getting up and starting your day. We’re usually prone to feeling groggy and a bit sluggish. We try to wake for Fajr on time but usually miss out by a few minutes or totally oversleep it. Well I’m going to share some secrets which will be sure to turn your mornings around and make your day your masterpiece.
1) The foremost rule is getting a good night’s rest the night before. It is absolutely essential to get a minimum of 6 hours sleep in order to recharge and energize your brain for the day to come. So make sure you get to sleep early and put those alarms on for Fajr time.
2) Upon waking up, begin with Allah’s name through a dua. It can be as simple as Bismillah to the dua for waking up. Drink a full glass of water before anything else. During the night your body can become dehydrated. Proceed to making wudhu and praying Fajr. The benefits of praying Fajr on time are numerous, and one should never miss out on it. It’s physical benefits include the benefits of meditation: relaxing the mind and literally feeding it energy. Health professionals and peak performance lifestyle coaches place much importance on the practice of meditation for at least 10 minutes a day, especially after awaking. Muslims do this on a regular basis 5 times a day, what a bounty we are blessed with!
3) I know it’s very tempting by this point to get back in the sack and nap for another hour or so before we get ready for school, uni or work, but here is where another essential comes in. Recitation of the Quran after Fajr is a habit we must absolutely engrave into our daily lives. We must aim to read a few pages of the Quran daily and the best time to do this is right after Fajr.
‘Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Qur’an of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed’. – Quran (17:78)
4) After some recitation, read some Islamic material. It can be from Seerah of the Prophet to tafseer of the Quran. This is a good opportunity to further your Islamic knowledge. You will feel so much better knowing everyday you are learning more of the Deen.
5) The next part is something quite uncommon but I think is an awesome tool to making your day a masterpiece. This is visualizing the best possible you going through the day. Put aside 5 minutes to actively imagine yourself doing your daily activities in the best possible manner. Physically see yourself doing the action and continue visualizing everything you plan to do in your day. Visualising is actually what successful people practice on a regular basis. In order to achieve something, you mentally see your physical body carrying it out. It might feel awkward doing this but trust me, it works!
6) Now comes the easiest part: the dreaded exercise. I know what you are thinking, exercise? C’mon. No. What would the best you say? Take this opportunity to envigerate your body by just a simple 10 minute walk. Exercise is proven to increase intelligence by neurogenesis. It reduces stress and makes you happier by releasing endorphins in your body. So grab some fresh air and go for a brisk walk around the neighborhood.
6) Time for the shower. Here’s a challenge for the courageous: take a cold shower. I know what you’re thinking. A cold shower? That’s crazy! There are actually many benefits, including developing a stronger immune system, as well as healthier skin and hair and promoting superior blood circulation. Not to mention feeling absolutely ALIVE once you’re done. A good way to pass a stream of positive energy throughout your system. If you’re up to it, why not take the 30 day challenge.
7) The final part of The Awesome Morning Routine is an equally Awesome Breakfast of Kings. Having a healthy and nutritious start to the day is extremely crucial. Be be sure to spend some time preparing a good meal and treat it like any other meal of the day. Here’s one of my usuals: omelette with capsicum and tomatoes, along with a glass of citrus juice or milk. It’s that simple. It doesn’t have to be very complex. Remember: this meal is your body fuel until lunch, having a good hearty brekkie will allow you to mentally perform at your peak.
‘Behind every productive day, is an awesome morning’ – Anonymous
Now you’re ready begin your day like a boss. You have gained reward and barakah by reading Quran, fulfilled your obligation for the search of knowledge by reading Islamic material, as well as learning something beneficial from your Deen, you are mentally and physically charged up with the awesome breakfast and exercise and you feel absolutely alive thanks to that cold shower!
May Allah bless our mornings and make it beneficial to us. Ameen.